Monday, January 12, 2015

Lightening the Load

Life takes us on a journey of unexpected twists and turns.  Some are welcome twists and others may leave us with with a heavy heart.  We all handle these unwelcome twists in different ways.  Some are easy to let go of and others may stay with us for some time.  It is so hard to carry these burdens and after time we need to make peace and resolve them.

For years I've been bothered by two particular friendships that have slipped away in the last decade.  I have been so confused and hurt by the dissolution of these friendships, yet I've never shared this with them.  I've spoken about it with my husband and one of my best friends, but never the actual people who have caused the hurt and confusion.

In my heart I believed the sadness would eventually fade, but I've come to realize I need to stop waiting for the day these feelings will magically disappear, because let's face it, they won't.  Instead, I have finally allowed myself to be vulnerable.  I finally wrote what I've said in my head a million times and sent it to them.

To be honest, I am not expecting to receive a response.  It would be welcome, but the simple act of finally saying my peace has lightened the load.  It is no longer a burden I am privately carrying around in my heart.  It is freeing and I am so glad it is done.

This may be the first step on a long journey of ridding myself of the hurt and burdens that have followed me around through the years.  It is a simple fact:  we will have our fair share of pain, disappointment, and betrayal during our time on this earth.  In some cases it may bring us down for a bit, but soon after we are able to put it behind us and move on.  Others may bring much more pain. We need to take the time to reflect on and pray about how to handle these situations.

In order to finally have peace, we have to do our best to resolve these situations.  It may not be easy. It may cause us to feel anxious and afraid, but to free ourselves we must be vulnerable.  The outcome may not always be what we had hoped, but walking through life with these burdens is no way to live.

  









No comments:

Post a Comment