Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Wake-Up Call

Yesterday I completed the registration to view my online records through our health care provider. Once complete, I was able to log in and see my stats from each doctor's visit through in this network of providers.  It is a very convenient system and nice to have everything in one place.  However, there was one little statistic screaming at me:  my weight.

The records went back to the summer of 2012 when we first moved to the area.  I scrolled through everything in the system and looked at the number from the scale in August 2012 and wanted to just kick myself right there.  Granted this was before baby #4, in fact that particular visit was confirming my pregnancy, but still.  What the heck?!

It was a time when I was probably in the best shape of my adult life, perhaps my entire life.  Prior to moving to Iowa, I belonged to a wonderful health club with tough classes and great equipment.  I worked out five days a week for many months and in that time weighed close to what I did in high school.  I felt amazing and energized and vowed to continue this regimen once we moved.

The gym we joined just wasn't the same.  I tried for a long time to get comfortable and find the classes I needed to push myself and never did.  I got pregnant with #4 and really threw in the towel. After she was born, however, I made the commitment to complete the Couch to 5K program.  I ran all summer, lost a lot of weight, felt strong again, and completed my 5K goal.  That was the last time I had a consistent workout routine and boy, can my body tell.

So, now what?  It is time to get back into shape again.  Seeing those numbers climb through the visits in that system really irritated me.  The worst has been over the past year.  I am over it and ready to watch those numbers creep back down.

My big goal this week was to complete a yoga DVD I have had great success with 3 times.  Last night was the first and today I am sore, but plan to find another activity to get the heart rate up and get my mind and body into a routine.  Tomorrow I'll complete the DVD again and fit in one more day to meet my goal.  It is so hard to do this with no gym membership, four kids at home, and an inconsistent sleep schedule, but I am going to find a way.  Setting small, attainable goals helps.

The end goal?  Well, I have plenty.  To run three races this summer:  a 5K, 5 mile, and a 7 mile.  To fit into the cute clothes in my closet (new with tags) and to lose at least 13 pounds.  Oh, yeah, and be able to wear a bikini for our ten year anniversary trip wherever that may be!

My success will be dependent on my word for 2015:  discipline.  Somehow, some way, I am going to have to be disciplined and find a DVD or workout regimen I can do indoors until the weather warms up and I can hit the pavement.  I also need to be held accountable and encouraged.  My husband and I both have lofty fitness goals for this year, so I am hoping we can do that for each other.

I'm sure there are others of you out there trying to achieve similar goals.  It's not just about the weight, but of feeling strong, healthy, and energized as well.  It is about setting a goal and reaching it. I know the road may be long, but it will be well worth it.

Who's ready?!




No comments:

Post a Comment