Friday, January 30, 2015

Growing in Faith

One section in my notebook is entitled "Faith and Service."  This is an area I want to focus a lot of attention on this year.  It is my hope to grow in my faith, have a more Christ-centered household, and to find ways to serve through my church and other Christian ministries.

For most of my life I have gone to church regularly.  From the time I was in elementary school I sang in the choir and in middle school I became my church's organist.  I continued to participate in the music ministry at my church until I graduated high school.  Unfortunately, when I got to college I stopped attending church regularly despite attending a Catholic university.  I would attend my hometown church some weekends and sing for holidays and special occasions, but never on a regular basis.

After college, I continued to sporadically attend mass, but did not find my way back to worshipping regularly until we bought our first house and settled in.  We were both raised in Catholic homes and brought up going to church regularly, so since having children we have made an effort to be at church most Sundays.  We have had periods of time where it has been very difficult and we've stayed home, but I would consider us regulars at Sunday mass.

Attending mass is important, but truly embracing our faith and being faithful servants is even more so.  I'm not going to lie, some Sundays I feel like I've gained little from being at church.  The kids don't always cooperate and I have difficulty focusing on the readings when I'm helping someone every few minutes.  To grow more in my faith, I need to spend time outside of mass reading and following His word.

We were married by my childhood priest.  Either in conversation or in the card written to us that day, I distinctly remember him encouraging us to find a ministry at our church and be an active member. He encouraged us to be leaders and serve.  Though he is gone now and those words were shared many years ago, I have always held them close to my heart.  With young children it can be hard to be a leader and serve others, but just because it is hard does not mean we shouldn't do it.

This year I would like to find my niche in my church.  Whether it be music ministry or finally accepting the invitation to be a sponsor couple for others preparing to marry or both, I need to set my fear and reservations aside and step up to the plate.  It is time to be leaders in our church and model for our children what it means to be a good and faithful servant.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment