Thursday, May 21, 2015

When Passion and Purpose Meet

Today I am linking up with Jill Savage and Hearts at Home for Third Thursday Thoughts.  This month's theme is Unleash Your Power to Inspire. 

We have been blessed with a purpose.

"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.  Do not forsake the work of your hands."  Psalm 138:8

We have been blessed with gifts and talents which will help us fulfill this purpose, but piecing together the puzzle may leave us with feelings of frustration, restlessness, doubt, and fear.  We may have to try and fail many times, but be steadfast in your faith, listen to your heart, and do not give up. 

"Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you."  1 Timothy 4:14

We have been blessed with a passion and when we partake in activities that incorporate this passion while simultaneously fulfilling our purpose, an indescribable feeling washes over us.  Our hearts are filled with joy and in that moment we realize we have found our way.  All of the hard work, restlessness, frustration, doubt, and fear were worth it.

I can attest to this, because, after searching for many years, I have found my way.      

Throughout my journey, I have listened to the whisper in my heart.  I may not have been obedient the first, second, or even the third time I heard that whisper, but in time I have listened.  After high school I went to college to pursue a degree in education.  I spent five years teaching before leaving my career behind to start my new career as a stay-at-home mom.  Four kids and eight years later I still hold that title, but I have added another title to my resume.  One that ties all of the steps of my journey together.    

From the time I was a young girl, I have loved to help others.  The smallest gestures brought me great joy and those memories have lived on inside of me for nearly three decades.  I am now in my mid-thirties and have reached a point in my life where I can say with absolute certainty I am fulfilling my purpose.

A few years ago a childhood friend and I had a little idea.  We were each doing a service project with our families at Christmastime:  her family was making fleece tie blankets and mine was collecting books for children in need.  A lightbulb came on inside of us and we decided to pair the two together and gift them to children at-risk in our community in an effort to promote literacy.  

What started off as a simple concept has grown into a thriving non-profit known as From Cover to Cover.  This week we met with legal council and are thrilled to be moving forward to become an official 501(c)3 organization.  We currently serve the children in our community, but it our hope to expand this program by organizing subchapters lead by volunteers throughout the country.

In two years we have provided nearly 600 kindergarten students with the gift of a book and a blanket and distributed over 3000 new and used books to help children at-risk build their own home libraries.  A few weeks ago we sponsored a visit by Michelle Nelson-Schmidt, an author and illustrator, who shared an amazing inspirational message with nearly 700 low-income children about staying true to themselves, working hard, and following their dreams.   Lives were changed during her visit.  Ours included.

Our journey has only just begun and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.  I have stepped out of my comfort zone time and time again, learned new skills, and dedicated hours to raising funds to fulfill our mission and reach as many children in our area as possible.  Each time we host an event, my heart swells with joy.  I feel overwhelmingly fulfilled.  I soak it all in and come home with the burning desire to do more.  To plan the next event.  To find the money to make it happen...and I do it.

"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35

Serving the children in my community inspires me.  Every hug, every thank you, every smile...the way their faces light up when they receive their book and blanket is priceless.  Combining my passion for education and God-given gifts has lead me to my purpose and for that I am truly blessed.

2015 is the year to get it done!  Listen to the whisper and find your passion.  It will lead you to a wonderful place.


       

       

   

No comments:

Post a Comment