Monday, May 4, 2015

The Big Event

May.  Wow, you came up fast!  I was feeling a little down the other day about the progress made during my "Year to Get it Done" project, but after some careful reflection and talking with my good friend, I've come around a bit.  Truth be told, there has been some tremendous progress in the first four months of this project and it happened during the longest, hardest months of the year.  With beautiful weather ahead, the kids home for the summer soon, and a little extra energy, I'm feeling pretty good about what the next eight months might have in store for our family.

The turn of the calendar brings about a packed month of fun, fulfillment, excitement, and relief.  The beginning of the month is filled with activities for my charity, From Cover to Cover.  In addition to a few book and blanket donations, we are sponsoring an author visit for two schools this month.  Late last summer, I began writing grants and speaking to local civic organizations about the launch of our Family Literacy Night pilot program.  Obviously, writing grants and public speaking were not part of my everyday duties as a stay-at-home mom, but they have quickly become a very fulfilling and exciting part of my life.

This project my friend and I started two years ago has turned into my passion.  It has brought me great joy to be able to share our mission and secure funds to add additional programs to help promote literacy and reach more kids in my community.

This project has lit a fire inside of me.  It has filled this unexplainable void I have felt for a long time.  I feel called to do this work and it gives my life a purpose other than wife and mother.  I haven't worked a traditional job in over 8 years and have struggled with feelings of restlessness during this time.  This project has allowed me to focus on a tangible goal and work to achieve it.

The culminating event for the year happens this week and my adrenaline is pumping.  I imagine this is what one feels like when they have worked hard to meet a deadline.  All of the hours of work will soon result in the author we have selected sharing a wonderful, inspiring message with over six hundred children in our community.

I can't help but wonder how many children's lives will be altered a bit by this visit.  How many will follow their dreams?  How many will really soak up her words and choose to set goals and work hard to achieve them?  I will never know, but I am excited to be able to share this gift with them.  To give them hope and inspiration.

I am thrilled to finish up our second year of serving kids in our community and begin planning for next year.  The sky is the limit and I am committed to growing this program not only here in my own community but in communities around the country.  Sharing the gift of a book and blanket has a tremendous impact on the children we serve.  I have seen the smiles, been the recipient of the hugs, and watched hundreds of children's eyes light up when they have received their gift bag.

Our mission may be to promote literacy among children at-risk with this gift, but there is more to this project than meets the eye.  Several times a year we are blessed with the opportunity to speak to and interact with a large group of kindergarten students.  A friend of mine is a counselor with a lot of experience with children living in poverty.  Recently she mentioned this project is conveying a message to these kids that people in the community care about them.  While they may walk out with a brand new book and blanket to snuggle up in and read at home, perhaps this greatest gift is knowing someone cares about them.

This is going to be a great week and I am hopeful many more great moments lie ahead.

Reading a new book

All snuggled up



Sneaking in some reading

Choosing free books



   

No comments:

Post a Comment