Friday, May 13, 2016

Mamas, Listen Up

I recently finished Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Melton.  I have wanted to read this book for a LONG time, but could never find it in my library system.  About a month ago it finally showed up in my search, so I immediately put it on hold.  The old saying rings true:  "Good things come to those who wait."

The book was awesome in a quirky, I'm chatting with a girlfriend, tell it like it is way.  I loved every minute of it.  Don't expect a sequential, organized story, but short stories that ultimately make up the story of her life.  She has overcome and the truth she speaks, her view on the world, and the kindness she inspires will leave you feeling motivated to look at life a little differently.

It really couldn't have come at a better time.  There was one particular part in the book that just spoke to my soul during this time in my life.  I'm going to paraphrase a bit of it.  Go check out the book to get the rest.  I'm sure there's something in there that will speak to you, too.

"Every single child is gifted.  And every child has challenges.  It's just that in the educational system, some gifts and challenges are harder to see."

"And as parents, we can help.  We can help out kids who struggle in school believe that they're okay.  It's just that there's only one way to help them.  And it's hard.  We have to actually believe that our kids are okay."

"Because here's what I believe:  a child can survive a teacher or other children accidentally suggesting that he's not okay, as long as when he comes home, he looks at his mama and knows by her face that he really is okay.  Because that's all they're asking, isn't it?  Mama, am I okay?"

"In the end, a child will call the rest of the world liars and believe his mama.  So when he asks us with his eyes and heart if he's okay, let's tell him:  'Yes, baby.  You are okay...'"

Oh, cue the tears.  This was just the little piece of wisdom I needed to hear this week.

I have a little guy who wants nothing more than to please others, do the right thing, and have positive relationships with his peers.  From the outside, you would think this wouldn't be a challenge, but when you peel away the layers and break into the core of who he is, it is, indeed, very difficult.

He has trouble following directions, controlling his emotions, and engaging appropriately with other kids.  He is high energy, quick to act, and as stubborn as they come.  He is independent, strong-willed, and loud.  Very, very loud.

He is my son.  My adorable little gift from God that challenges me repeatedly on a daily basis.  He is loving, athletic, and creative.  He is a thinker, a daredevil, and a jokester.  He has the best laugh and would love nothing more than to be moving all day long.

His gifts can be a challenge for others to see.  Us included.

His temper, unwillingness to cooperate at times, and emotional outbursts cause people to stare.  I have had plenty of people give me "the look."  You know, the one where they are implying you are an incompetent parent and have no idea how to control your child after observing you for half a second.

I have received phone calls and emails from school letting me know he is struggling, being uncooperative, and having difficulty controlling his emotions.  There are times when I am at a loss, because I'm more than aware of the issues at hand, but receive resistance when I suggest we create a modified plan for his educational setting.

I have feared for his safety too many times to count when he has impulsively taken off when he should stay close.  I feel sad when he shares his frustration and struggles at school and with his peers.  I feel horrible when I personally reach my breaking point and just want him to chill out and cooperate.

It is, to say the least, a challenge day in and day out.

But I know God has a plan for this spunky, cute, little blond-haired, blue-eyed boy of ours.  I'm convinced he'll be quite successful someday given his persistence and tenacity, but first we'll need to work through the struggles and spend more time focused on his gifts rather than his challenges.

We'll need to make sure that he knows he's okay, even when school is a struggle, which it is proving to be already.  We'll need to make sure he knows he's okay, especially when his peers hurt his feelings with their words and actions.  We'll need to make sure he knows he's okay, when he notices his differences (which he undoubtedly already has) and simply wants to control himself and do the right thing.

But most of all, we will hold that little boy close and tell him how much he is loved.  We will fight tooth and nail to do what is right for him regardless of the roadblocks that are put in our way.  We won't stop until we find the right people to help him along the way.

Because we believe.

He is okay.  He is more than okay.  He is wonderful.

And he'll believe that, because his mama said it's true.


No comments:

Post a Comment