Sunday, December 28, 2014

Getting Organized

I am a visual person.  I work best with a list and a clear outline of what needs to be done.  Perhaps this is why I struggle at times with the cleaning and organization of our home.  When it comes to the mundane, routine household tasks I keep up fairly well.  Looking at the larger picture, though, I would rate myself average at best.

I have good intentions.  I find myself making mental notes about tasks I'd like to complete around the house, but either get started and find myself sidetracked or I never start at all.  As part of the year to get sh*t done, I'm going to do my best to combat this problem.

Today I sat down with a blank canvas and began to map out all of my mental notes into a nice little chart.  My list spans from tasks I want to complete daily all the way to annual projects.

To ensure this is visible and reusable, I plan to place it inside an 8x10 frame and hang it in a spot I'll be sure to see it multiple times a day.  I'll place a washable marker nearby and cross items off once they're completed.  Some will get erased daily, others will stay for awhile.

It is my hope this will help us keep up with maintaining our house and keeping it a bit more organized.  Notice I said a bit.  We have four young children and know our house will never be
immaculate, nor do we want it to be.  An overall sense of organization, though, will be a much-welcomed change.



1 comment:

  1. Love the grid idea, especially for those tasks I always forget about, like changing the air filter. Have you heard of this book? The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing- I took a look when I was at Barnes today. You can sample the first chapter for free on your Kindle...

    ReplyDelete