Monday, September 26, 2016

Above All, Choose Kind

I recently finished reading Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton.  If you haven't read Carry On Warrior or this, you're missing out.  She's a straight shooter who had serious struggles for much of her life, lost herself along the way, yet in the end persevered.  What I admire most, though, is her willingness to share her story with others without shame, even though it's messy and uncomfortable. She has a fantastic blog, Momastery, and freely speaks her mind on so many of today's most controversial issues in a loving, motivating way.  

She uses her platform to encourage people to be tolerant, fight for what's right, and above all, be kind to and love one another...and ourselves.

When I put down her book, I felt inspired, encouraged, and validated.  We have made difficult decisions for our family as of late and choosing to not remain silent about our rationale has led to some unexpected fallout.  At first I was hurt, but over time I have come to see the situation for what it is.  Sometimes someone else's messy truth makes people uncomfortable. 

Perhaps my experience, my voice, will reach into the heart of another mama out there who is struggling.  Maybe she will no longer feel alone and find comfort in knowing there are others out there fighting the good fight right alongside her.  Why should I sit by and be silent?

Seeing the world from someone else's perspective can be difficult.  It seems we are so wrapped up in our own lives that even considering someone else's circumstances may be different is a challenge.  I'm not sure it's ever been quite as evident in my lifetime as it is right now.  Turn on the news, read an editorial, simply look at what's going on around you.  Tunnel vision is everywhere.    

Kindness and compassion have been replaced with intolerance and apathy.  What would happen if people would step back and suppress the urge to argue or attack and simply say, "I hear you.  I am sorry."?

People attempt to tell others how they should feel and belittle and judge them when their opinion differs.  Why do people believe that is okay?  Individuals are entitled to feel emotions and come to their own conclusions based on their personal experiences.  Why do whites feel compelled to discredit how the black community feels?   Why do the middle or upper class feel the need to rebuke and dehumanize people living in poverty?  Why do people attack others who choose a different lifestyle than their own?  Why?  

What makes this even harder for me to wrap my head around is this intolerance isn't limited to behavior among strangers.  This happens in families, with friends.  It seems that nowhere is safe anymore and it is disheartening people spend so much energy bringing people down rather than building them up.    

What happened to the village?  The village where people lifted each other up, unselfishly helped each other, steadfastly supported each other?  Where did it go?  As of late, it seems to have been wiped from existence.

Mamas.  I have a plea for you.  Lead by example.  Those little eyes are watching and when we are expressly showing our intolerance of others, we are teaching our kids to do the same.  When we are brushing someone's feelings aside and trying to impress our feelings and opinions on them, we are teaching our kids to do the same.  When we are outwardly unfairly judging others, we are teaching our kids to do the same.  Choose kindness.  Choose compassion.  Choose love.            

Glennon and I are kindred spirits.  I have never been one to be silent.  I am not ashamed to use my voice.  I have a story to share.  I'm sure you do, too. 














  

No comments:

Post a Comment