Thursday, April 28, 2016

Bottle It Up

There are times I wish I could bottle up the energy and motivation that seems to overtake me at times.  I'd like to crack it open on the days when the polar opposite is true just to give me the extra boost I need to keep moving forward.

For example, earlier this week I was feeling very low.  I was experiencing a lot of self-doubt and questioning many things and then, BAM!  Out of nowhere, my mindset shifted and the energy and motivation I so badly needed has returned.

I have to admit, I get a lot more done when I'm feeling energized and driven, but who doesn't?

Perhaps part of my shift in focus was in part due to reading the latest book by a blogger/author I really connect with.  I just finished reading Kristen Welch's latest book Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World:  How One Family Learned that Saying No Can Lead to Life's Biggest Yes and all those nagging thoughts hanging out in my head are coming to the surface.

Parenting is no easy gig.  Each day there is at last one shit storm (if not more) in my house and I can't help but feel like we're failing as parents, but I need to focus less on those nasty moments and see the positives that are sprinkled throughout the day.

My kids are at a tough age.  They are becoming more opinionated, argumentative, and challenging, but it's our job as parents to guide them in the right direction.  I need to keep this in mind, because I am not a very good example at times when my pressure gauge is at high and I explode.  I just want to wave my magic wand and have some peace within the walls of our home, but we all know that's not going to happen.

It's going to be a journey.  One that will continue for many, many years.  For the most part my kids are going through very natural phases, but the desire for more, more, more and the lack of appreciation at times for what they do get to do and have leaves this mama a little unsettled.

So, it's time to take a step back.  It's time to spend some time devising a plan that will give our kids a new perspective and get them involved in more hands-on service activities.  It's great to talk about it and give money or material items to a cause, but it's a whole lot different to actually be in the trenches and doing something.

I have begun to understand this even more as I continue on my journey with From Cover to Cover.  It's ever-changing and more opportunities for hands-on involvement are presenting themselves.  It fills me up and I want my kids to feel that overwhelming sense of joy and contentment that comes with actively serving others.

It's all about finding the right opportunities now and moving our family in the right direction.

I'm feeling pretty motivated right now and I hope it continues.

I encourage you to get your hands on a copy of her book and you may feel the same.

#theyearofpeople

No comments:

Post a Comment