Friday, August 21, 2015

This School Year I'm NOT Going to Suck...Too Much

Today officially marks the last day of summer vacation.  My kids have been on leave from their schooling duties for 85 days.  Sure, we have two more days with the weekend, but it's Friday.  The last week day they will be home for an extended period of time until Christmas.  We've had a fun summer filled with baseball, playing outside, two LONG family vacations, swimming, and bumming around the house with no schedule.  It hasn't always been sunshine and roses, but I think it's safe to say we made some serious memories and had plenty of fun along the way.

Monday will be here before we know it and I'll be sending my first two kids off to school.  Thursday my third will join his older siblings and we'll be off and running.  This school year I am making a vow not to suck...too much.

I'm going to get up before my kids in the morning and take some time for myself.  Reading, running, exercising at home.  Something.  Just for me.  I would like to replace overtired, stressed, crabby morning Mommy with tolerable, pretty nice, rested Mommy who has started the day off on the right foot.  Kids, take note.  That means you need to stay in your rooms until the time your dad and I have set as an appropriate time to start your morning.  Please, life will be so much better if you do.

We're going to walk to school (well at least until the weather stinks).  That means we'll need to be prepared for school.  Clothes out the night before, homework done and put in backpacks, and lunches prepared.  Joining our friends for a brief walk before the school day begins will be a great way to start off our day.

I will spend my time pursuing my passions.  This is the year I will finally start my very own business (wahoo!!!) and the charity I co-founded will officially be a 501(c)3 organization.  The future looks bright and filled with promise.  My bucket will be filled with these two endeavors and I cannot wait to get at it.

I'm going to say "no" to outside commitments.  Stepping down from the PTA board was my first step (may I say I have not regretted that decision once!) and now it is time to take it just a step further.  I will carefully offer my time to volunteer in activities I enjoy, those that fit my schedule, and most importantly, will not cause crazy amounts of stress.  If all else fails, I will write a check.

I will be organized.  Weekly menus will be planned, grocery shopping will be done while the kids are at school, and meal prep will be done before they get home.  Well, most days anyway.  I am hoping this will restore some sort of peace during the late afternoon and early evening after they've arrived home from school.  With everyone getting into the routine and being a bit tired and crabby, this could make or break our evenings.

 I'll be open to suggestions for fun family activities and extracurricular activities.  If they fit our schedule, don't cost a fortune, and provide exercise or improving a skill, we can talk about it.  Don't get me wrong, we're not going to overload our schedules, but as the kids age I would like to consider their interests and suggestions with an open mind.

Perhaps most importantly, we'll schedule social time for the whole family.  Time with friends, for the young and old, is good for the soul.  Our fall calendar is already filled with fun for the old.  It might sound a little crazy, but our sanity depends on it.  Mama needs to get out of the house and have some fun.  We have been blessed with a great group of neighborhood friends who all have younger kids, too.  We're all eager to break free now and then to refuel our tanks.

 I suppose I should take a look at some things for the kids, too.  Time to bring back the movie nights and throw in some outings to the local museums, parks, and indoor swimming pool.  

There it is.  My plan filled with good intention to not suck this school year.  Last year I was stressed out, overcommitted, out of shape, and tired.  This year IS going to be different.  I'm going to make sure of it.

Here's to more rest, more fun, and a more pleasant household for all!  Welcome back school (and a much quieter house!).






No comments:

Post a Comment