Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Year to Get My Sh*t Together

Where does the time go?

It's been nearly two years since I started this blog.  I had great intentions of being so productive and getting my life in order, so I named it "2015:  The Year to Get Sh*t Done."  As time went on, I realized it was going to be bigger than just 2015, so I dropped the year and kept at it.

2016 was affectionately dubbed "The Year of People."  The ultimate goal was to spend more time focusing on developing relationships with those in my life by intentionally making time for others.  It started off being quite productive.  There were several family and couple dinner dates in our home with our friends, dates with my husband, and some one-on-one time with the kids, but then life happened.  It derailed the train and I was never able to get back on track.  It's hard to do when the train takes a complete detour and stops in a new place.

To say 2016 has been a year of ups and downs would be an understatement.  It's been chaotic, stressful, and uncertain at times, but we have also had some amazing experiences and made many memories.  It's been eye-opening and life-changing to say the least.  With each life experience, whether good or bad, there is always a lesson to be learned.  The lessons from this year have been hard to swallow at times, but I'd like to think I have learned a thing or two along the way.

Ultimately, I realized my husband and I will do anything we deem necessary for our family.  Each decision we make regarding our children and their well-being is not done in haste.  We have been presented with many challenging situations this year and have carefully considered all options before choosing which path to take.  Some have not worked out the way we had hoped, but others have certainly been for the greater good of our family.  It's been pretty grueling at times, but we're still here to talk to about it.

With 2017 looming around the corner, the theme for the upcoming year hit me late last week:  "The Year to Get My Sh*t Together."

Why?

Because I am tired of living a disheveled, unorganized, unfocused life.  I want to dig deep inside and figure out who is taking up residence in this body.  Who am I?  What goals do I have for myself and what is my path in life going to look like this year?  What are MY dreams and how can I pursue them?  How am I going to feel like I am living a purposeful and fulfilled life?

I crave more organization, less distraction, and the opportunity to take some time and focus on me.  I have devoted most of my time the past decade running this household and caring for my kids.  I've supported my husband's career choices (well, most of the time, I'm far from perfect) and watched as he continues to be successful and climb the ladder.

In the meantime, I've lost sight of who I am, put my needs darn near last most days, and let myself go in so many areas of life.  I've lost the spark I once had and the drive to achieve the goals that I've set for myself.  Life just seems so overwhelming most days and I cannot fathom where I would find the time to make these drastic changes, but something needs to give.  I'm not sure how many times I've said it before, but one of these times it's going to stick.  It HAS to stick.        

2017 will undoubtedly be filled with more change and challenges, but I am hopeful it will be a brighter, happier year.  There is a lot of work to be done and I plan to do my best to eliminate as many distractions as possible, focus on goals, and keep my eye on the prize.

I am nervous, but excited about what's to come.  It's going to take a lot of work and there are bound to be many road blocks int he way.  I guess the ultimate test will be overcoming those road blocks and continuing on the journey.

Life has a way of continuing to move on even if we're stuck in a rut.  Sometimes that rut lasts much longer and extends much further than we'd like, but deep down inside I know there is a way out and I am determined to find it.

One foot in front of the other.  One day, one hour, one minute at a time.  Whatever it takes.

As this year comes to an end, I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to follow along.  If you'd like to continue to do so, I invite you to follow along by email (as one of the largest distractions I plan to greatly reduce or eliminate all together is Facebook where I post links to new posts).

Enjoy the holidays and I'll see you (I hope!) in 2017.







No comments:

Post a Comment