Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Oh the Heartache

I don't think I understood how badly my heart would hurt as a mom.  You know... that sinking sensation and the ache you feel when you're disappointed, let down, or just feeling blue.  It's hard when you experience it first-hand, but I was not prepared for it to hurt even more when one of my little ones is having a tough time.

There are times when I feel like I am reliving experiences from my childhood and boy does it hurt.  I've not been shy about sharing my difficulties with peer relationships growing up.  I struggled from middle school through college and it had a lasting impact on me.  

I often felt misunderstood, alone, and on the outside looking in.  I didn't really find a peaceful place until after I graduated from college and moved far away from home.  To be honest, I still struggle with this at times and I'm well into my thirties.    

Those experiences have caused me to be very cautious when exploring new relationships and it is why my circle of trusted friends is quite small by most people's standards.  But you know what?  I'm okay with that.  

I think this is why it is so hard when my kids come to me with their relationship struggles.  I would give anything for them to not have to feel the heartache I did for all those years.  I know they'll find their way, but that doesn't make it any easier. 

There are times I want to march out and find the kids who are calling my kids names and just plain being mean.  I want to tell them to include my child and not make them feel unworthy.  That mama bear wants to come out and protect her cubs, but I don't.  

I listen.  

I comfort them and do my best to encourage them to stay true to who they are.  

A wonderful, inspiring author I have the privilege of knowing tells kids all over this country these words that are so true:  "Stay true to who you are.  Your people are out there and one day they'll find you."  

In the meantime, I'll do my best to encourage my kids to keep their heads up.  I'll encourage them to seek out kids who they feel like they can be their true selves with and not have to change to fit in.  I'll comfort them, hug them, and hold them when they cry.  I'll pray for their people to show up.

I'll also let them know how loved they are; how they are a wonderful gift from God and a true blessing to our family.  

They have tender, caring hearts and I have the utmost faith one day they'll use their tender-hearted souls to make a positive difference in this world.  

Until then, I'll continue to pray for their safety, health, and well-being.  And if the big guy upstairs is listening, I pray He'll place kindness on the hearts of kids everywhere.  

#kindnessrevolution
#theyearofpeople  



   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment