Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What Was I Thinking, Summer?

48 days ago I was filled with anticipation and thrilled summer vacation was finally upon us.  We picked our kids up from school, finished packing our van, and headed east to the beach on an eleven day road trip.  Our time at the beach was glorious.  So.much.fun.

We returned, took a week to recover, and got into a routine.  Job charts, poker chips, regulated electronic time, limited TV time.  I was on it.  My kids were reading, playing outside, being creative, doing extra chores...you name it.

We had designated school time.  Subjects they wanted to learn more about.  Workbooks.  I was prepared.  All in the name of earning a poker chip.  Earn 5 chips?  You've earned yourself some electronic time.  Bravo!

Fast-forward to mid-July.  My enthusiasm has waned, my fight is gone, and I just don't give a sh*t.  Can we watch a show?  Sure (if it means there will be no fighting, screaming, or wild children for 20 minutes).  Can I play the iPad mini, Kindle, Wii???...yes.  Please.  Just let me have some time.  Alone.  To read.  To think.  To do anything but listen to the chaos.  I'll even take the timer off for you!

My foot is injured.  I can hardly walk.  My husband is traveling.  Dare I say I'd do anything for a day of putting my feet up and doing nothing?  Instead I've schlepped my kids to swim lessons, made a wonderful dinner most of them complained about, and put them to bed later than I had wanted.

Oh, Summer.  Will you ever live up to the expectations I set in May?  Highly unlikely.  Perhaps next year I will learn my lesson.  I'll just let them run wild and throw any and all expectation out the door.  Until then, I'll continue to let things slide.  They have me outnumbered...the sooner I face the facts the better.

On the bright side, 40 days until school starts!  Then I'll be wishing I had these lazy, chaotic, loud days back!


No comments:

Post a Comment